Mooching Wednesday

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Mooching Wednesday

Postby Robbo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:23 pm

Robbie Tobeck, Keith Robbins, and I were scheduled to go tuna fishing offshore today but the weather blew up out on the coast and we decided it wouldn't be that much fun to be out there. We decided to jump in Keith's 23' center console Grady White for a day of strictly mooching on the Puget Sound instead.

Keith keeps his boat moored at a private dock near Shilshole which makes it a short run to all the mooching spots in the sound. Pretty frickin' sweet :!:

After bouncing around to a few places looking for the last Chinook of the season we ended up at Possession Bar. We missed a couple of bites right away and then Tobeck picked up this 5 pound silver
tobeck_possession_web.jpg
tobeck_possession_web.jpg (83.49 KiB) Viewed 5042 times

And a few minutes later while I was yapping on the phone with Nick Kester I got a bite down at 150 feet and oila...another silver of about 8 pounds jumped on my fresh herring and came to the net ;)
rob_possession_web.jpg
rob_possession_web.jpg (126.57 KiB) Viewed 5042 times

I had to leave early to beat Seattle traffic, but I have no doubt in my mind that we would have hooked more fish if we could have stayed longer. Lots of birds working, bait balls boiling, and fishy marks on the Lowrance. Mooching is cool thumbup

Check out Keith's charter business at http://www.salmonguide.com and give him a shout if you want to do some mooching on the sound.
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Re: Mooching Wednesday

Postby Nelly » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:22 am

..."strictly mooching"... Sounds like fun... Well, except for the strict part rofl
Looking forward to some less structured coho fishing during Salmon for Soldiers this Saturday.
Once this high pressure system (thank goodness) is firmly in place and the winds die down, I bet the silvers will be on the snap big time thumbup
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby onwhiskeycreek » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:06 pm

linda coho.jpg
linda coho.jpg (70.52 KiB) Viewed 4841 times
The only downside to mooching is that's all Linda wants to do anymore.We have all kinds of really cool trolling gear and it just never seems to get wet. Maybe I can get Nelly to show her how much fun it can be some day. Even Luke our Newf loves to mooch, he watches the rod tip like a hawk and starts woofing as soon as he sees a fish taking the bait.
luke fishing.jpg
luke fishing.jpg (47.19 KiB) Viewed 4841 times
If you happen to lose the fish he gives you that look of disgust. Then there is always grilled mooched silvers, Linda thinks it's the mooching that makes them taste better.
grilling.jpg
grilling.jpg (123.59 KiB) Viewed 4841 times
Then if your going to grill you need a few shrimp for appetizers, although they weren't mooched.
shrimp.jpg
shrimp.jpg (113.91 KiB) Viewed 4841 times
You also need a bit of mooched smoked salmon belly dip to go with it too.
salmon dip.jpg
salmon dip.jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 4841 times
Then all that's left to do is hang out in the front yard and enjoy it all, with some new friends.
salmon dinner.jpg
salmon dinner.jpg (86.83 KiB) Viewed 4841 times
We usually just keep is simple and finish it off with some Spruce Tip Ice Cream
spruce tip ice cream.jpg
spruce tip ice cream.jpg (77.7 KiB) Viewed 4841 times
Linda keeps a Facebook page updated with pictures of whatever is going on here.
https://www.facebook.com/linda.holt.1213 If you want to be her friend just let her know you saw it here so she knows it's not spam. So is there anyway I'm going to be able to use all that cool trolling gear?

Gary
onwhiskeycreek
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Can't wait to pick up our barge shipment this week so we can dive into the spruce tip syrup you guys gave us drool
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Return to Fishing Reports