Silver Smackdown!

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Silver Smackdown!

Postby Nelly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:47 pm

After a tough outing last week, I couldn't wait to get out this morning and even the score with those pesky coho!

Fortunately, the silvers were in a biting mood and we had a boat limit on board by 0900!
aTable.jpg
aTable.jpg (49.83 KiB) Viewed 8119 times

Robbie Tobeck joined me for this trip to the Marine Area 8/9 border known as the Shipwreck.
aTobeck.jpg
aTobeck.jpg (41.53 KiB) Viewed 8119 times

As we pulled the gear in after boating our limit, Tobeck looked at the Simrad and said "Nelly!! Look at them now!" Sure enough, the coho were just thick underneath the boat!
aScreen.jpg
aScreen.jpg (32.2 KiB) Viewed 8119 times

Gear of the day? The Luhr Jensen Herring Dodger....
5140-2.jpg
5140-2.jpg (32.37 KiB) Viewed 8112 times

Thirty-six (36") inches ahead of the Ace-Hi fly with a little red-beaded "love"
aFly.jpg
aFly.jpg (28.2 KiB) Viewed 8112 times

Looks like this weekend's Edmonds Coho Derby could be one for the books! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Silver Smackdown!

Postby zevn77 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:24 pm

I saw you guys out there today. Looks like you had really good action. How many feet of line did you have the downriggers out? I was able to find 1 but that was it.

Thanks,

Nick
zevn77
Pollywog

Postby greenfishnut » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:27 pm

well on Monday it was us 2 on one landed and one lost with rigging to a dammed seal which had 2 lures in its mouth last we saw it, watched another person loose their gear to it and about an hour later when the 2nd fish hit my sons setup it was really taking line and we thought great good fight on a big ol king, then all of a sudden the seal broke water and we saw the orange flasher/rotator plus our dodger and old pt defiance spoon.

we was not happy campers believe me
greenfishnut
Pollywog

Postby zevn77 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:51 pm

I saw you guys out there today. Looks like you had really good action. How many feet of line did you have the downriggers out? I was able to find 1 but that was it.

Thanks,

Nick
zevn77
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:54 pm

zevn77 wrote:I saw you guys out there today. Looks like you had really good action. How many feet of line did you have the downriggers out? I was able to find 1 but that was it.

Thanks,

Nick

Hey Z, Welcome aboard and we started out during first light at 45' on the Cannon downriggers moving down about 10 feet per hour of daylight.
Also, I run those dodgers within 10 feet of the release so when those coho grab the gear...They get hook-setting tension QUICK! outahere
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby olympic » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:21 am

Thanks for the report Nellie. I have a few questions about the combo you caught those fish on if you don't mind. What was the size and finish (all chrome, 50/50, glow, etc) was the dodger? Also you mentioned a 36" leader length; do you measure from the end of the swivel you hook onto the back of the dodger to the nose of the lure or to the back of the back hook of the lure? I assume you were trolling 3-3½ mph; that would make the dodger spin like crazy. We have had it drilled in our heads over the years to troll dodgers slow 1½-2 mph so they swing side to side and to NOT spin. A different way to fish old school tackle! Thanks for sharing the info! thumbup
olympic
Pollywog

Postby Salmonhawk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:42 pm

Great time as always Nelly! I have to say, my last two trips on PS with you have certainly filled the freezer with salmon.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Nelly » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:21 pm

olympic wrote:Thanks for the report Nellie. I have a few questions about the combo you caught those fish on if you don't mind. What was the size and finish (all chrome, 50/50, glow, etc) was the dodger?
Also you mentioned a 36" leader length; do you measure from the end of the swivel you hook onto the back of the dodger to the nose of the lure or to the back of the back hook of the lure? I assume you were trolling 3-3½ mph; that would make the dodger spin like crazy. We have had it drilled in our heads over the years to troll dodgers slow 1½-2 mph so they swing side to side and to NOT spin. A different way to fish old school tackle! Thanks for sharing the info! thumbup

First off, I have to credit All Star Charters Patriarch Gary Krein for the concept of running LJ Herring Dodgers at high speed (2.6-3.5mph) for coho salmon.
We were running Size O Dodgers which are the largest Luhr Jensen makes and the chrome & chrome scale tape finishes worked best.
Finally, I measure knot to knot when describing leader lengths. rockon
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Fishing Reports