How do you connect your downrigger release/flasher?

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

How do you connect your downrigger release/flasher?

Postby grizz80 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:39 am

I pretty much always clip my 5'- 6' release at the downrigger ball tail-end.
During this down-time I've been catching-up on some fishin articles and am curious about the following:
1) Compare using of the "Ace in the Hole" method, clipping a release directly to the ball or clipping a few feet or so up the cable with flasher attached to your main line:
1) Advantages or disadvantages for-
2) Do you see more take-down action with any method over another-
3) Concerns or comments about any method-
4) When one method is preferred over another- (obviously don't use the Ace in the Hole method when trolling not action hardware)
grizz80
Pollywog

Re: How do you connect your downrigger release/flasher?

Postby grizz80 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:24 am

Wow I see a number of views for this post but no responses, are the answers to this topic a big secret? ;)
grizz80
Pollywog

Postby HarperMA10 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:34 am

I am in the same boat, I am doing all my "catching up" right now anxiously waiting for more time in the boat. For what it's worth, I am by no means an expert...I have only used the conventional method (or what I believe is the go-to for most guys) that is when I run my clip 5ft behind the trailing end of the ball. Where my flasher and hootchie/spoon/bait do their dance.

note- I used to use the scotty rubber snubber to hang my ball and run release above the ball...but my ball hit bottom and broke my snubber, so due to the fact I didn't have another snubbber I have been running my replacement ball off the cable.

I had to go and investigate the "ace in the hole" technique to see what you're talking about...I can't provide any valuable input.
HarperMA10
Pollywog

Postby grizz80 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:12 am

Harper,
Thanks for the post, I don't use a rubber snubber but do use a looped tuna cord instead. I find it same as the rubber snubber something to grab vice the cable or braid. I've read too many horror stories about the rubber snubbers failing for some reason or another, you'll even find stories of those who attach a brand new snubber and drop their ball into the water and the snubber fails and there went the gear.
thank again!
grizz80
Pollywog

Postby Bowfinger12000 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:00 am

Well I to am not your perverbial expert but this last year I was turned onto running a rudder flasher on my setup and for me personally I love it. I haven't tried the snubber setup yet and still may but I'll definitely consider the tuna cord rig after reading those comments.
Bowfinger12000
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:53 am

Sorry guys,
I've just been slammed busy at the Seattle Boat Show but let me give you a pic instead of a thousand words:

Here's a slide from my popular Dirty Downrigger Tricks PowerPoint showing how I rig a rudder
Rudder.png
Rudder.png (115.23 KiB) Viewed 59583 times

Let me know if that answers your questions! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby grizz80 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:05 am

"Thank you" Bowfinger and Nelly for the input !!!
grizz80
Pollywog

Postby ericl » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:49 am

I have been using a Silver Horde snubber since 1988. Never had one break (realize down rigging is not idiot proof).

Run a false flasher about 5' up from the ball on a heavy8' leader.

Only comparison was false flasher on one side & inline flasher on the other side. False flasher won 2-0

I like a long release of heavy mono long enough so that you can hook-up w/o bringing the ball outta the water' but I mainly fish the bouncy ocean.
ericl
Pollywog

Postby billm » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Eric, Not sure how you are running your set up. Is your line/lure connected to the ball? If it is, doesn't it get tangled with the flasher that is 5ft above the ball? I am interested in trying your setup. Thanks
billm
Pollywog

Postby ericl » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:51 am

Starting with the ball:

Ball
False Flasher/Kone Zone 5-8ft behind the cable on heavy mono
Silver Horde plastic snubber with swivel on one end, snap on the other end

5-8 ft Tuna cord between false flasher and release clip.

Release clip with 4-5 ft 150# mono.

Deploy your lure at least 8ft behind the Flasher.

Snubber is a shock absorber; you will loose fewer balls & it is easy on the hands when deploying the ball

Long Mono for the release clip is easy on the hands & you should be able to deploy the release clip w/o bringing the rest of the gear outta the water.
ericl
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion