Braided line

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Braided line

Postby cdory22 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi,

I am looking to spool up an Daiwa lexa 300 lc with some braided line for salmon trolling. I was thinking 30-40 pound test but don't know what brand of braid to use. The 2 at the top of my list are power pro and j-braid but having never used braid before I am not sure what to buy.
I know much of this comes down to my personal opinion but I welcome any and all input.
Thanks,
Joe
cdory22
Pollywog

Re: Braided line

Postby Nelly » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:22 am

Welcome aboard C,
First off for saltwater downrigger trolling a Lexa 300 is good but a Lexa 400 is better!
More line capacity and larger drag washer surfaces make for faster line retrieve and smoother operation.
I typically run 65 pound J Braid with a 30 foot top shot of 30 pound test Maxima Ultra Green.
You’ll love the way the braid cuts through the water and the increased feel of the fight of the fish cheers
!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby cdory22 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Thanks for the welcome and recommendation Nelly!
I'll be fishing from a kayak so I will probably need to downsize in gear but I finally have a reputable source recommending j braid over power pro so j braid it is.
Thanks and wish me luck!
cdory22
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:07 pm

You are hereby and officially wished GOOD LUCK! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby ericl » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:32 am

Old post but offering info for other readers:

I have using braid for downriver fishing & have always fished 20# power pro. Info suggests that braid will last at least 15 years if kept outta the sun. I put a 30-40 ft 30-40# mono top shot on the end for holding in the release clip & taking the abuse of being stepped on/whatever. I change the top shot at least yearly.
When downriver fishing it is VERY important that you have as little slack in the line between the reel & release clip as possible. The heavy mono holds well in the clip & I can really crank-down to remove the slack. The lighter braid has less drag going thru the water; less drag = less "belly"/slack in the line. You will also hold more line on the reel. Last summer I was fishing at Massett where 70# fish are caught. The guide asked how much line I had - I said at lease 500yd. He said good, cuz 300 is not enough.

When i put on new braid it will be hollow braid which allows a knotless connection to the mono. The typical mono-to-braid knot CAN catch in the guides. This did happen to me on Tom's trip to Hippa in 2016 when the guide repaired my knot for me & the knot was too big.
ericl
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion