General Questions

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

General Questions

Postby MO3N » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:48 am

I have a few random questions. Hopefully I am not the only one that has these issues.
- I use scents like most everyone. Once I'm done fishing it takes me forever to clean the scent off my gear using Dawn and water. Does anyone have any tips and tricks to clean flashers and spoons?
- next question is probably related to scent getting on my downriggers release. But, it seems like halfway through my day of fishing I notice my downriggers release does not hold as well as it did in the morning. Any recommendations on types of clips or ways to reduce early line release?
- last question, I know it's important to switch out hooks and swivels often. How about the leaders you tie to your spoons? Do you replace those leaders every trip or will you store those spoons with the leaders for days or weeks before re-tying?

Thank you for the help and any recommendations.
MO3N
Pollywog

Re: General Questions

Postby Nelly » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:01 pm

Whassup Mo,
I use scents as well and I'm a Pro-Cure.com kinda guy.
Keep a small bucket of fresh water on board with a squirt of Joy or Dawn in it and as the day nears it's end I drop my spoons and flashers in it. As we get back to port, the action of the boat and the soap has loosened or completely removed the scent and a few strokes with a small dish brush does it!
I love the Cannon Offshore Release http://store.cannondownriggers.com/products/325101/Offshore_Saltwater_Line_Release
cannonclip.jpg
cannonclip.jpg (24.96 KiB) Viewed 13320 times

This release holds quite firmly and does not "false pop" but I do take care not to get scent on a release.

As far as the tail-leader on a spoon is concerned, I use 30 to 50 pound test and it's good for several fish but I look for nicks and test it's strength throughout it's use.

Those are all great questions and the fact you asked them indicates you're definitely on the right track for consistent success! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: General Questions

Postby MO3N » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:59 am

Thank you Nelly. I will give this a try this weekend.

After listening to your black mouth seminar I think I'll try making my own, longer releases.
MO3N
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion