Question for Robbo and Nelly About Rainfall

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Question for Robbo and Nelly About Rainfall

Postby Herringer11 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:14 am

Hello Nelly and Robbo I have a question:

As you know we are forecasted to have not 1 or 2 but 3 rainstorms blasting across the region that is going to dump a ton of rain in the next 2 weeks.

I fish the Snohomish and here is my question:

When fishing for COHO after the river substantially rises and water flow gets really up there, how should our fishing tactics change? and the second question is: How do the Coho behave differently now that current is up??? In other words were can we locate them?

Thanks,
Ryan,
Herringer11
Pollywog

Re: Question for Robbo and Nelly About Rainfall

Postby Nelly » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:20 am

Hey H!
Sorry for taking so long to get to your question but the ducks, bucks and pheasants have been keeping me from "homework" lately... spy

Your question is timely given the "atmospheric river" of the last few days and here's my take:
While the river is on the fastest portion of the rise, personally; I can't catch my ass with both hands...

That early, low snow, combined with serious precipitation is the formula for frustration for me. However, once the rise to flood-level tops out and we gain visibility, it's go-time once more.

Now we need to focus on back-channel areas out of the main current flow, even to the point of zero velocity "frog water". These areas are best fished with large spinners (#5 Vibrax in red/orange), Fire-Tiger crankbaits retrieved right to the rod tip and "nightmare" jigs twitched through the deepest part of the hole.

Each one of those gear types will work a different section of the water column and that level of persistance and coverage will put October coho in your fishbox! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion