Bank Fishing For Silvers In Sound -- Rigging

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Bank Fishing For Silvers In Sound -- Rigging

Postby Herringer11 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:47 pm

I have been fishing for silvers and chinook out of a boat for many years, but want to give bank fishing a try. I am familiar with bobbers and plunking in the rivers but need advice for in the sound. Could you offer some advice for float or plunk rigging to target silvers in Puget Sound from shore. I found a good fishing spot with deep holes, just need a setup. I tend to stay away from darts and jigging, nor do I like going on crowded piers. Basically I would like to just cast a good plunking setup on bottom or a float rig from the bank or beach in the sound with my chest waders and enjoy myself. I am fully licensed and legal.

Thanks
Herringer11
Pollywog

Re: Bank Fishing For Silvers In Sound -- Rigging

Postby Nelly » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:29 am

Welcome aboard H,
That's a great question and there's more coho opportunity from the shore than most folks are aware of.

I hear you with regard to jigs from shore unless you're on a steeply dropping shoreline. Otherwise, their fast sink rate is a liability and you're going to lose some gear. Buzz bombs with skirts sink more slowly and similarly, skirted spinners will stay up in the water column as they're fished on the retrieve. Don't discount 3/8oz marabou jigs twitched on the retrieve as you'll provoke some major league strikes as the jigs drop.

If you're seeing coho on the surface, Fire Tiger Wiggle Warts cranked through the schools will get some attention but for my money, tough little brined cut-plug herring fished below a float is a salt water slam dunk.

Rig a slip float with a bobber stop 10-14 feet up the line with a 2oz mooching sinker below the float. Tie a 4-foot double hook mooching rig and cast 'er out.

Let the sinker pull that cut plug down and when the bobber stop hits the float, start your retrieve...and hold on outahere

Thanks for listening and thanks for posting your question! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Bank Fishing For Silvers In Sound -- Rigging

Postby Herringer11 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Excellent, thanks for the help and taking the time to write out a lengthy reply.

ODL Nelly and Rob Rock rockon
Herringer11
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion