Currents related to fishing

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Currents related to fishing

Postby Bowfinger12000 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:17 am

So I'm trying to understand more of the effect currents have on fishing not just the tides. I'll take this evening for example. I plan on fishing the incoming around 630 pm this evening around No Point since its very close to my place. I'll be about halfway through the tide and the current predictions are maxing out at 2 knots according to what I could find. Is this a strong current to be in typically? How does it relate to fishing or fish feeding?
Bowfinger12000
Pollywog

Re: Currents related to fishing

Postby Nelly » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:04 pm

Hey Bow,
Sorry for my late reply as Friday are busy for me...Lots of homework,,,, spy

Your question is as deep as the depths of the Sound and I'll just be able to scratch the surface here so let's boil it down to this:

Go With The Flow!

If I'm at No Point and it's flooding, I'm starting at the rip that forms just south of the point and I'm trolling toward Pilot Point or even down as far as Eglon Point. .

On the ebb, you have a couple of choices; reverse the course and troll from Pilot to No Point or, start at No Point, politely nodding to the moochers and troll toward Norweigian Point watching for bait and birds to indicate areas to focus on.

A two-knot current is not too fast but a tail current like that makes it time to really focus on your downrigger wire angle because your GPS speed over ground will be in excess of 4mph.

Remember, your speed through the water is the key. You may be making those four knots but your speed through the water is a very managable -and fishy- two knots.

Good luck and enjoy the last weekend of the wonderful A9 July season cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Currents related to fishing

Postby Bowfinger12000 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:48 am

No worries Nelly I'm just more curious as to when or if there is a better time or phase in the current to fish not just going with the flow so to speak. Area 9 was a great fishery at Mid Channel for sure hope 10 has a hot spot or two soon.
Bowfinger12000
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion