MA6 proposed shorter season

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

MA6 proposed shorter season

Postby grizz80 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:24 am

Hearing the state is proposing a significantly shorter winter season for MA6 due to the impacts on the Chinook Dungeness River run, unfortunately, this river has not recovered over the last decade since restrictions, closures etc ... have been in place. What makes anyone think this shortened season will help? Hate to say it but the Dungeness River Chinook run might as well be considered extinct. Up until to a few years back we were starting the winter fishery mid Feb as is what's being proposed again, not gonna make a difference this time either!!!
grizz80
Pollywog

Re: MA6 proposed shorter season

Postby Nelly » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:54 pm

Hey Grizz,
I hear you but WDFW really has no choice this season with regard to tightening up MA6.
It's a bitter pill to swallow but after sitting through the NOF meeting in Lynnwood Tuesday, seeing the numbers, and in view of the ESA listing legal obligations, the managers didn't have much of a choice.
The ocean conditions have thankfully cooled back down and become more productive. We've had a winter like we haven't see in these parts in decades. Hopefully we're working our way out of a bad stretch! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby grizz80 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm just worried giving up days, then when and if the conditions improve we won't get em back!!!
grizz80
Pollywog

Postby Bowfinger12000 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Losing days is the norm apparently....3 days for halibut this year instead of 4? I don't care about the IF days IF the quota hasn't been met, you can't count on that for anything. How does Canada have a seemingly several month season and we have mere hours basically. It's been a long winter and due to other responsibilities I haven't had the luck or pleasure of getting out at all for blackmouth and I know that's just life sometimes but seriously 3 freaking days for Buts? Buts!! This isn't a dwindling run like some of our salmon. It's all above my pay grade and I'll continue to support what I can in favor of sportsman and small business and our legislature but something big needs to change and soon. cheers
Bowfinger12000
Pollywog

Postby rrenick65 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Unfortunately I think WDFW is at fault here, and I fear that MA7 is going to be in trouble as well based on the impacts of the sport fishery on selected indicator stocks. For to long the State has relied on poor science and poor management in regards to our fisheries. The entire CWT program is somewhat of a joke, along with our escapement estimates and management of achieving escapement goals. This lack of practicing good science has lost the State bargaining power with other entities that impact our states fisheries. Unfortunately until this issue is addressed the sport fleet will continue to lose out on fishing opportunity until most wild stocks are damn near gone, which will also be sad. What's worse is precedents and good management practices have already been set in order for the State to achieve these good practices and management techniques, but politics and the lack of willingness to adapt and sacrifice are the only things standing in the way.

Unfortunately the outlook for future generations of sport fishing looks bleak unless our State representatives and politicians change their agendas and priorities.
rrenick65
Pollywog

Postby grizz80 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:47 am

At least I'm fortunate to live close to Canada !!! I'll be giving a majority of my hard earned dollars to the north, why should I give money to a state that places heavy restrictions on fish I help pay for and can't catch em, only to have em end up in nets !!!!!!
As noted in the latest edition of "The Reel News", " Washington is the only state ruled by two countries-the US of A and the Tribal Nation", and it isn't a 50/50 share !!!
posting.php?mode=reply&f=7&t=3078#
grizz80
Pollywog

Postby grizz80 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Worse than we thought, MA6 down from 6 months last year and 7 the year before to a lousy 3 months, total BS !!!!!!
grizz80
Pollywog

Postby Hewescraft220 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:34 am

First time posting here but like you I am enraged at the regs for the upcoming season here in MA-6. As soon as I heard it I immediately bought my Canadian license and said that's it, I'm done with the mismanagement here in WA.

We run out of either John Wayne Marina here in Sequim or drive up the road to Ediz Hook in Port Angeles. On our 1st day over to Coyote Bank off Victoria we nailed a 2 nice Buts with one at 65lb and the other at 28lb. All you need is your passport and ring the authorities, they give you a number and voila. Easy peasy. It's a 40 minute steam from Ediz Hook at 25 mph to get to the fishing grounds.

I'm giving my money to the Canucks. At least they support the recreational fisherman.
Hewescraft220
Pollywog

Postby Bowfinger12000 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:50 am

That easy?! I may be changing my fishing moneys contributions as well lol. However it's probably what the tribes want...sport guys to give up. :evil:
Bowfinger12000
Pollywog

Postby Hewescraft220 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:54 pm

Look at this piece of local news recently.. http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/ ... -neah-bay/

The value of the Halibut on board was estimated to be between $200,000 and $250,000.
Wait for it, it was being shipped down to Oregon for processing. So they rape the ocean and then they process it out of state. That's the part I'm having a hard time absorbing.
They give us 3 days :evil:
Hewescraft220
Pollywog

Next

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion