South sound resident coho?

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

South sound resident coho?

Postby THE SNAGGER » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:36 am

Just wondering if anyone knows the regulations about the south sound resident coho fishery? Or where to find it in the regs? I couldn't find anything in the regulations under marine area 13! cheers
THE SNAGGER
Pollywog

Re: South sound resident coho?

Postby Nelly » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:32 pm

Hey S,
Here's a copy/paste from http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01818/2016-17_marine.pdf
SALMON - ENTIRE AREA July 1-Aug. 31
& Oct. 1-June 30 CHINOOK - min. size 22". Other SALMON species - no min. size. Daily limit 2 (combined). Release COHO and wild CHINOOK.. See closures and marine
preserves on previous page and below. Anglers may fish with two poles with TwoPole
Endorsement.
Fox Island Public Fishing Pier July 1-Aug. 31
& Nov. 1-June 30
CHINOOK - min. size 22". Other SALMON species - no min. size. Daily limit 2 (combined). Only 1 CHINOOK may be retained. Release COHO.
T
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Stonefish » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:36 pm

It is actually open for retention of two hatchery coho in MA 13.

The fishing has been pretty good with a decent amount of fish around versus some previous years.
Some of the fish are already pushing 16", which means they'll be 20"+ come July.
They are feeding heavily on amphipods and euphausiids, but will be switching over to baitfish soon.
The number of fish around should bode well for July coho fishing, which was excellent last year before we got shut down. I hope we don't have a repeat this year.
SF

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efis ... sp?id=1886

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife FISHING RULE CHANGE
WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
October 21, 2016

Hatchery coho salmon can be retained in all of Area 13

Action: Hatchery coho can be kept as part of the daily limit in all of Marine Area 13 (South Sound).

Effective Dates: Oct 22, 2016 until further notice

Species affected: Salmon

Locations: Marine Area 13

Reason for action: State and tribal co-managers previously agreed to keep the area closed to wild and hatchery coho retention due to the low number of coho projected to return this year. The co-managers agree there are sufficient numbers of fish returning to southern Puget Sound to allow the retention of hatchery coho.

Other information: The western portion of Area 13 opened Oct. 1 for hatchery coho retention. Today's action opens the eastern portion for hatchery coho retention.

The daily limit for all of Marine Area 13 is 2 salmon, release wild chinook and wild coho. Anglers may fish with two poles if they have a Two-Pole Endorsement.

Information Contact: Ryan Lothrop, (360) 902-2808; James Losee, (360) 902-2741.
Stonefish
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:25 am

Thanks for the clarification and update Stonefish!
PM me and I'll send you out an Outdoor Line T-shirt! gears
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby mainer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:11 am

Are you trolling for these or casting spinners?
mainer
Pollywog

Postby Stonefish » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:06 am

mainer,
I'm fly fishing for them but small spinners and spoons will work.
I bet the smallest size buzz bomb or rotator would work as well.
I haven't found them to be incredibly picky.
Good luck out there.
SF
Stonefish
Pollywog

Postby DuckDog » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:39 am

The heavier casting spoons and small buzz bombs work great. Find some jumpers or rising fish and then cast into them. You'll get bit just about every time. Remember it's single barbless so change out your hooks.
DuckDog
Pollywog

Postby Stonefish » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:41 pm

Just an FYI.
The rules I posted earlier from October for MA 13 have mysteriously disappeared from the WDFW website.

Either "until further notice" ran out or they just screwed up and forgot to close the season.
It seems odd they won't post a new emergence notice stating it is closed to retention.
In my opinion, that is another example of really poor communications by WDFW with anglers.
So is it open or not for retention? If not, when did it close?????
SF

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efis ... _by_date.j
Stonefish
Pollywog

Postby Smalma » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:08 pm

SF -
Without an emergency regulation the regulation reverts to what is in the pamphlet. In this case it mean in MA 13 through the end of June anglers are required to release all coho.

By the way in MA 9 the regulation would be also be release all coho though in this case that last until the middle of April assuming there is not an early closure.

MA 10 is currently closed to all salmon fishing

MA 11is like MA 13 the release of all coho is required until the end of April.

In short those anglers keeping coho outside of MA 12 are likely doing so illegally at this point.

May want to check with WDFW.

Curt
Smalma
Biologist Emeritus

Postby Stonefish » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:39 am

Curt,
My point is the emergency regulation allowing retention posted in October said "until further notice".
That regulation change notice has now been removed.

So, where is the new emergency closure "notice" if it is in fact now closed to retention?
That notice should be listed in the February rules changes on their website.
WDFW should put up a notice it is closed to retention rather then assume anglers will know it reverts back to the regulations in the pamphlet.
SF
Stonefish
Pollywog

Next

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion