South sound resident coho?

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Re: South sound resident coho?

Postby SlumRunner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:37 am

It's still open SF - they just hid the press release. Here's the link:

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efis ... sp?id=1886

I don't know why they don't just have a section on their web page where you can select the marine area you're fishing, and be able to see all the updated regs. They must like making it hard on people.
SlumRunner
Pollywog

Postby Smalma » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:11 am

SlumRunner -
There is a place on the web site where you can find the current regs for a MA and what that currently says is that no emergency regs are in effect in MA 13 and to refer to the pamphlet; ergo it is closed for coho retention.

SF -
At one time there was a 90 day limit on emergency regulations but have no idea if that continues to be the cast. If that still is the case the 90 days would seem to fit the "disappearance" of the emergency regulations. I'm too lazy to chase down the current emergency rule limitations.

Again I encourage those interested in fishing retaining any coho outside of MA 12 before the new pamphlet to contact WDFW. The earlier news release lists Ryan Lothrop and/or James Losse as contacts.

Curt
Smalma
Biologist Emeritus

Postby Stonefish » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:56 am

Slumrunner,
Thanks for the info.
I'm still not sure why that notice is no longer listed under the October rules changes I posted the link to. What good does hiding it within their website do for anyone?
I agree they certainly don't make things easy for folks in regards to the rules.

Curt,
How many people in the general fishing population would know a emergency rule would expire after 90 days?
My guess is few would know that.
It seems like it would be a pretty simple process to put up a notice if that emergency rule did expire.
WDFW has had a lot of practice in putting up emergency closure notices lately, so it shouldn't be that hard to put up another one if it happens.
SF

Edit....someone I know spoke with a WDFW warden and was informed that MA 13 is now closed for coho retention.
Might be worth a call to confirm this. I still think they should put up a notice if this is in fact true.
Stonefish
Pollywog

Postby SlumRunner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Stonefish wrote:Slumrunner,
Thanks for the info.
I'm still not sure why that notice is no longer listed under the October rules changes I posted the link to. What good does hiding it within their website do for anyone?
I agree they certainly don't make things easy for folks in regards to the rules.

Curt,
How many people in the general fishing population would know a emergency rule would expire after 90 days?
My guess is few would know that.
It seems like it would be a pretty simple process to put up a notice if that emergency rule did expire.
WDFW has had a lot of practice in putting up emergency closure notices lately, so it shouldn't be that hard to put up another one if it happens.
SF

Edit....someone I know spoke with a WDFW warden and was informed that MA 13 is now closed for coho retention.
Might be worth a call to confirm this. I still think they should put up a notice if this is in fact true.

Yeah, how ridiculous is this that none of us can get a definitive answer. If I were to keep any, I would have that notice printed out in my tackle box. And I think you would win in court if it came to that. I don't mind catching and releasing - you don't get much of a fillet off them, but they're still dang good eating. If someone gets an answer please post and let us know. I've been fishing it 3 days a week. For now, I guess I'll release the little buggers!

Slummrunner
SlumRunner
Pollywog

Postby SlumRunner » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:28 pm

I called Ryan and left a voicemail - will be interesting to see what I hear back.
SlumRunner
Pollywog

Postby Stonefish » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:05 am

FYI,
Open again for retention.
Bigger question, how many knew it closed?
SF

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efis ... sp?id=1930
Stonefish
Pollywog

Postby SlumRunner » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:09 pm

Stonefish wrote:FYI,
Open again for retention.
Bigger question, how many knew it closed?
SF

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efis ... sp?id=1930

Ryan called me back and told me they issued this new release. It is 100% open now. Thanks for the link SF. I for one wouldn't have known it was closed until you brought it up.
SlumRunner
Pollywog

Postby SlumRunner » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:10 am

Caught a released a ton of them yesterday - the one I kept had it's stomach packed with krill.
SlumRunner
Pollywog

Previous

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion