Jig for Herring

A general fishing forum to discuss, chat, or ask questions about all things related to saltwater or freshwater fishing. Image

Jig for Herring

Postby pcorazao » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi guys,

This last spring and summer, I saw a few clouds of bait fish around the jetty and around the green can off Shillshole / Ballard. Just curious if you guys have ever tried to figure out if that was herring or not, of what type of fish that is and if it would be good for bait (salmon).

I was going to drop a crab pot and wanted to catch something productive during the soak.
Kayak Angler
pcorazao
Pollywog

Re: Jig for Herring

Postby Nelly » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:37 am

Hey PC!
Herring jigging is really fun and fairly easy once you locate a school.

Pick up a couple packs of Sabiki Bait rigs...
s-l1000.jpg
s-l1000.jpg (204.9 KiB) Viewed 4136 times

,,,add a weight to the bottom of the rig and make 6-12" vertical jigging motions in the school.
download.jpg
download.jpg (4.25 KiB) Viewed 4136 times

If you wish to freeze your own bait, line a cookie sheet with wax paper and lay out your fresh herring nice and straight in dozens or half dozens. After a couple hours in the freezer, you're good to either Zip-Lock or vacuum pack ! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Jig for Herring

Postby pcorazao » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:03 pm

The water was like chocolate milk up in 8-2 around kayak point park and figured maybe nothing would be able to see that little sabiki jig. But I was amazed when I dropped it down into a bait cloud and hooked up on little perch. Its a fantastic tool in the belt! I have spreader jig that i can put some squid on 2-3 ot hooks, and now this little sabiki jig also. I feel like I can identify what type of bait is under the boat by switching between one or the other now. Very cool, did not see any herring but the crab was fantastic!

If these little perch can see that little sabiki jig, I can only imagine what the other fish can see, really amazing.
Kayak Angler
pcorazao
Pollywog

Return to General Fishing Forum & Discussion