Marine Battery Questions

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Marine Battery Questions

Postby Oysters and Beer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:55 am

Hey I am in need of new batteries for my 23ft Striper. I currently have two dual purpose Interstates that need to be replaced.

Questions
1. Should I make a change to have 1 "Starter" and 1 Deep cycle (for electronics etc) or keep 2 Dual purpose?

2. What do you know about the Blue Seas ACR systems? Does anyone have experience with them or recommend another option?

Thanks
Paul
Oysters and Beer
Pollywog

Re: Marine Battery Questions

Postby Nelly » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:53 am

What's up O&B!?

First up, equipping your boat with a Blue Sea Systems ACR (or Automatic Charging Relay) is one of the smartest things you can do for your electrical system to keep you trouble-free on the water.

An ACR system monitors voltage across all battery banks and delivers a charge where it's needed most. This not only keeps your electrical system at it's optimal voltage but also extends battery life by preventing overcharging -essentially cooking- your battery banks.

My ACR system was installed by HarborMarine.net and I couldn't be happier!

My advice on the actual batteries would be to install AGM or Absorbed Glass Mat batteries in Group 31 size. These larger, more robust batteries are essentially dual purpose starting/charging and fit the bill for the type of boating battery we need 'round heah! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum