Simrad or Lowrance oooor?

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Simrad or Lowrance oooor?

Postby Bowfinger12000 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:09 am

So I've got a Lowrance Gen 2 HDS 7 that I like but recently I've been considering on possibly upgrading or changing units. I primarily fish Puget Sound and Sekiu area fishing for all the typical species from bottom fish, shrimp, crab to salmon and charts are important as well. I'd love some good input and recommendations on anything and should I be looking into Simrad or something else? I'd like to have a lot of options as to what the unit can do. Support is important as well from whatever company I may be dealing with. Thanks
Bowfinger12000
Pollywog

Re: Simrad or Lowrance oooor?

Postby Nelly » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:36 am

Hey Bow,
You may wish to consider adding an new Lowrance Carbon unit that will network with your existing Gen 2 gear

The Carbon unit will also add CHIRP and several other features to your system.

On the other hand, if you troll and wish to add an integrated auto pilot to your boat, then consider Simrad. While you can enjoy auto pilot features with your Lowrance gear, it's a little more ingrained into Simrad's DNA and your Lowrance will still network with the Simrad system as well!

You also mentioned Product Support and this is an area where
NAVICO (parent company of Lowrance and Simrad) has really stepped up their game with genuine live operators, internet based support and most importantly, solid, dependable products that don't need a whole lot of service to begin with!
Good luck! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby Snowgoose1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:52 am

I currently have Lowrance system and thoroughly enjoy everything they offer along with product support. I’m getting a big new boat and also want to inquire about Furuno systems. I understand Lowarnce Simrad but would appreciate any input in regards to Furuno. It seems that all my Alaska trips and salmon guide trips they always have Furuno on board. I realized Furuno now also caters to the avid non-commercial person too. Just trying to go after it once with the new bigger boat. Thanks for any input.
Mark
Snowgoose1
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:12 am

Hey 'Goose,
I have the opportunity to run Furuno on large platform vessels while working my "day" job and it's obviously the gear that mariners world-wide depend on for their livelihood, not to mention their lives.

That said, I place that same level of reverence, respect and reliability upon Simrad and I know Robbo feels the same way about his Lowrance gear.

With regard to sonar performance on your particular vessel: The single biggest factor is TRANSDUCER INSTALLATION!

Your choice of transducer model, type (transom mount or thru-hull), frequency and the output power far outweighs the brand of gear.

One last thought: I install ALL of my marine electronics and so does Robbo.

WHY?

Installing your own gear teaches you things about the gear, about your boat and about your boat's electrical system.

By installing your own gear, if you ever have an issue on the water at the very least, you'll know where to look.... spy
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby ericl » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:50 pm

Check out THT (The Hull Truth) www.thehulltruth.com for many opinions on this subject.

Gil Travis on THT sells this stuff & is an ex-military sonar spook. Ask Gil.

The guys in AK are using Furuno because the Furuno DFF1-UHD was designed around the Airmar B275LHW dual channel CHIRP transducer; the "W" stands for wide angle & it allows moochers to be able to see their gear.
The Navico stuff is no slouch either; last summer I fished at Dave Murphy's Kyuqout lodge; he has Simrad & we saw all the Chinook coming up to strike on the sounder.
ericl
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum