Airmar tm150m and insight genesis

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Airmar tm150m and insight genesis

Postby d_smith84 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:54 am

Does anyone know if you upgrade the transducer on a lowrance HDS gen3 to the Airmar tm150m if you will still be able to record your sonar and upload it to the insight Genesis website to create maps? I would like to do the upgrade but the insight website states you need to do high chirp or 200 kHz for the mapping software to work. A lot of the lakes in Montana are not mapped so this is a great tool that I would hate to not be able to use. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dan
d_smith84
Pollywog

Re: Airmar tm150m and insight genesis

Postby Nelly » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:11 am

Hey Dan,
The TM150m is a medium chirp transducer which should output accurate depth recordings precise enough to satisfy the requirements to input to Insight Genesis.
As long as there is a consistent depth recorded with the position information, you should be fine.
Incidentally, I have been running high chirp this season and love it!
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby d_smith84 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:05 am

Nelly, thanks for the quick response. I agree, the high chirp is great. It is really nice to be able to see if the "blobs" on the bottom are fish or just garbage. I would love to upgrade the transducer to the tm150m but as I said I don't want to lose the mapping abilities provide by insight. According to insight's user guide it states "200kHz or high chirp mandatory". According to Airmar's spec sheet the tm150m "Covers the medium frequency range—CHIRPs from 95-155kHz to provide 60 kHz of total bandwidth from one transducer". I would hate to spend the $300 and then find out it won't work and of course the insight customer support is unavailable. Hopefully, someone, somewhere will have upgraded and can confirm one way or the other. Again thanks for the reply and the website, I enjoy it.
d_smith84
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:40 am

I'll dig into this a bit further with my Lowrance/Simrad guy.
Stay tuned and I'll post back here when I've got an answer.
Thanks, T
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Boat Owners Forum