Kicker fuel lines

A forum for boat owners or aspiring boat owners wanting to discuss boating, boats, equipment, electronics, insurance, maintenance, and more.Image

Kicker fuel lines

Postby WABOWMAN » Thu May 05, 2016 5:44 am

I recently bought a new to me 4 stroke kicker and I am planning on running it off my main tank (first time doing this). I have a remote filter with multiple outlet ports that I will be connecting to.
I have heard that some guys have problems with one of the motors removing the fuel from the other.
Shouldn't the check valve in the primer ball keep this from happening?
If not what should I do to keep it from happening?
Good shocks and four wheel drive!
WABOWMAN
Pollywog

Re: Kicker fuel lines

Postby Jeff Nance » Thu May 05, 2016 1:53 pm

You are correct the check valve should stop it, but if the valve fails...it is smart to install a ball valve to isolate the system.
If you are ever having issues with home financing or know of anyone having troubles with their home loan, please send them my way for an honest and transparent opinion.
Jeff Nance
NMLS# 405731
www.MyFinancePage.com
Jeff Nance
Pecker Trout

Postby Nelly » Fri May 06, 2016 5:19 am

Hey WaB,
The problem is in the multiple filter head itself.

Your main engine has fuel suction sufficient to suck fuel across the top of the filter head and if you have a carburated kicker, the fuel vents will allow air into fuel system.

If your kicker has ever been hard to start after a long run, then you have a 4-stroke... Just kidding but your main is drawing fuel from your auxiliary engine.

That is very dangerous since it could result in a lean fuel delivery to your main and a very expen$ive engine failure.

To avoid this, place a check valve in the kicker side of the filter head or if your tank has two fuel pickups, run a second fuel line to a dedicated fuel filter for the kicker.
If your tank has only one fuel pickup then just tee in a second fuel line as close to the tank as possible.

Two engines + two filters = no problems! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby WABOWMAN » Fri May 06, 2016 6:08 am

Thanks for the great info!
Good shocks and four wheel drive!
WABOWMAN
Pollywog

Return to Boat Owners Forum