2012 Elk

Use this forum to discuss duck and goose hunting, pheasant and upland bird hunting, big game hunting, firearms, and ammunition.Image

2012 Elk

Postby BothellBikeGuy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:19 am

Okay, I decided to get ahead of the game and actually start planning for my 2012 elk season. I rediscovered my bow and have already started practicing. I'm lucky to be about a mile from Kenmore Gun range which has an excelent walk through course.

I've decided on a general location based on the fact that I drive through the area at least once a month; therefore, I should be able to plan to scout some specific spots and get myself into shape before the season begins next September.

I'm looking at GMU 336 & 346 since they are just off I-90 and like a I said, I pass though here often. I have a Forest serveice Map and Washington Atlas and Gazetter. Where can I find Topos and does anyone have any specific recommendations for zeroing in on a spot. I'm not afraid to hike or Mtn bike into an area and would prefer to find a spot with few roads.

Thanks,

Jeff
BothellBikeGuy
Pollywog

Re: 2012 Elk

Postby Robbo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:33 pm

If I had my choice I'd hunt 346 and get as far west as possible. The bulls in those units hang out way up high in the early archery season. It's been a long time since I've hunted there and I'm not sure what the road network is like there now. I'd call the Naches Ranger Station at (509) 653-1401 and see if they have any maps showing where the locked gates are and the roadless areas. That's where the highest concentration of elk is going to be. I drew a cow tag in 336 about 15 years ago and I was disappointed at how many roads and people there were there. I hunted 356 the first year it went to spike only and my gawd I saw some giant bull during the rifle season. That's my .02 for what it's worth 8-)
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby BothellBikeGuy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:00 am

Thanks Robbo - your 2 cents is worth so much more than that! I think the PCT runs through GMU 346 - thats the furthest west I can get legally if I pick Eastern Wa.

I've been staring at the maps I have and its time to pick up the phone or get out and walk.
BothellBikeGuy
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:11 am

PCT hits the western edge of that unit. I'd look at walk-in or roadless areas as far west as you can get. Steep and deep in that area and big old growth timber. The big bulls I found south of there were all in the old growth timber. Pretty exciting man...can't wait to hear how your scouting and hunts go in the next year thumbup
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby BothellBikeGuy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:30 am

With your help, I've tenatively identifed a faily remote spot that I'll check out as soon as I can. From the map I have there apprears to be about 10-13 square miles without and roads. I'll be looking for steep and deep. I'm pretty stoked!
BothellBikeGuy
Pollywog

Return to Hunting Camp Forum