In Search of Odocoileus Hemionus

Use this forum to discuss duck and goose hunting, pheasant and upland bird hunting, big game hunting, firearms, and ammunition.Image

In Search of Odocoileus Hemionus

Postby Saharit » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:56 pm

Okay boyz, I need some late hunt advice that others could probably use as well. Took the day off today on a solo mission in an attempt to bag a mule deer in Mazama. Ended up hiking my sorry rear end all the up the 4 mile Highway Butte Trail at Klipchuck Campground. Something I always wanted to accomplish but not easy given my "svelte" physic and o-line knees.

I was the first on scene, took all the precautions stopping often and watching and glassing. Got to a good midway point with great shot lanes in all directions and waited. Sure enough another hunter appears from below but still nada. Did not see one buck on that mountain side and no shots fired within earshot. However, there were plenty of fresh tracks of big deer on that trail as it rained Wednesday.

He was a local hunting all week. He came back down on Monday night and was heading back up over the mountain top into the charred Butte to a camp they set up. He said he saw 3 legals on opening day but it sounded like he was holding out for something larger. Tells me all the bucks basically get pushed on the first couple of days up the mountain and they seek refuge on the other side. Best bet was to hike up to the other side and hunt the burnt wood.

Lots of does milling in valley with their young - including two right outside my hotel room the night before. I almost ran over two does crossing Highway 20 which in thinking about it now may have been a good trade off for any minor damage to the pickup. Already tenderized, but I get more hamburger than I wanted. thumbdown

The gal at the hotel reception said she heard from the butcher they had 184 deer so far. Great numbers especially considering the impact of the Charlton Complex fires.

I may get out again Saturday or Sunday and was looking for advice on a couple of things. After opening day, any truth that bucks basically vacate the valley and head to the high country (in other words - do not waste time off of any easy entry point in public lands off of a major access point like Highway 20)? Or do they just scatter with some good opportunities still on private land - get a new plan for next year?
As always, any perspectives would be greatly appreciated!
-Troy
Four Reel II
Saharit
Pollywog

Re: In Search of Odocoileus Hemionus

Postby Robbo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:07 pm

Yes I would definitely head back over if you have it in you. I'd say there's about a quarter of the pressure on the second weekend and the deer will usually fall back into their normal routine. Not that they are any easier to hunt, but at least there's isn't a bunch of people pushing them around.

In regards to ridge "X". I'd have probably sat there for a while and watched the big area you speak of and if nothing happened I'd have worked my way up the entire ridge. Hunt from pocket to pocket until you find something...and you probably will.

If not at least your legs will hate you for it and you'll have some killer blisters to remind you how fun hunting is ;)
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Saharit » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:51 pm

Really appreciate the advice. Will be leaving at zero dark thirty tomorrow morning to give it another go!
Four Reel II
Saharit
Pollywog

Postby Robbo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:30 pm

That entire ridge is good Troy. Let us know how it goes tommygun
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah