SE Bear and E-Tip

Use this forum to discuss duck and goose hunting, pheasant and upland bird hunting, big game hunting, firearms, and ammunition.Image

SE Bear and E-Tip

Postby onwhiskeycreek » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:08 pm

We butchered a bear one of our guests harvested the other day using a 300 WM with 150 grain E-Tip factory ammo. This was the first bear I've butchered that was taken with a no lead bullet. The bear was shot in the front shoulder and quartered through the far rib cage. Shot placement was excellent and the bear dropped in it's tracks. The amazing part was the very minimal amount of meat that was lost to being bloodshot compared to other bears that we have butchered that were taken with lead bullets and similar shot placement. I switched to Barnes bullets a couple years ago for deer and have been very pleased with the results on the Sitka Blacktail.

Gary
onwhiskeycreek
Pollywog

Re: SE Bear and E-Tip

Postby Robbo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Nice work on the bear Gary thumbup

Such a busy summer I missed your post. I've taken two deer with Winchester E-Tips and they worked well with minimal meat damage. Much like you guys we love eating them and the minimized meat loss is a plus. I switched to Barnes last year after a few friends suggested them for long range shots and I hope to fill deer tags in three states with them this fall.

Barge finally came in and brought the precious spruce tip syrup you guys were so kind to give us. Heading off to the store to pick up some ice cream right now gears
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Return to Hunting Camp Forum