Smaller Caliber Deer Rifle

Use this forum to discuss duck and goose hunting, pheasant and upland bird hunting, big game hunting, firearms, and ammunition.Image

Smaller Caliber Deer Rifle

Postby Robbo » Fri May 09, 2014 5:14 am

I just got a good deal on some Leupold optics which means I of course need to buy a new rifle to go with it :D

I'm looking at a smaller caliber deer rifle that will mostly be used for blacktails and shots less than 300 yards.

Here's what I've looked at so far:
25-06
7mm 08
6.5 Creedmore

So far the 7mm 08 is in the lead and I would go with the 6.5 Creedmore but they aren't as readily available and several people have told me they kick pretty good. While that doesn't bother me this rifle will probably end up in the hands of our daughter when she starts hunting.

The 25-06 is also in the running but I'm leaning towards the 7mm 08 because you can find them in heavier factory loads up to 140 to 150 grain.

Oh...and I need to "pull the trigger" so to speak on this purchase in the next week or two so I can get it to the guys at the Snake River Hunting Club to get it set up and broken in when I'm in Alaska.

Any thoughts?
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Re: Smaller Caliber Deer Rifle

Postby SCHANKER » Fri May 09, 2014 11:44 am

robbo, the 270 isnt in the running? great gun, its been a long time since i shot one. used a browning bar. not a lot of kick and usually i thought the rounds were easy to find not not too expesive. i think that would be a great gun for your daughter when the time comes. not the browning persay but the caliber. just passing it on. drool
SCHANKER
Window Licker

Postby Robbo » Fri May 09, 2014 12:58 pm

That was actually my personal first choice Schank but I wanted a short action and as little recoil as possible. While you and I could shoot a .270 all day long and probably not feel a thing my wife or daughter might get a wallop out of it. After much deliberation I just bought a Savage model 16 stainless/composite 7mm 08 for recoil, weight, short cartridge, and diversity of ammo.

Next year I'll either pick up a 6.5 Creedmore or the new Nosler 26. You've gotta check out the new Nosler 26 online when you get a chance. Dead on at 415 yards with some insane velocity tommygun

This 7mm 08 will mostly be a blacktail rifle for Southeast Alaska and our local west side jungles. I just picked up a Leupold 2.5-8 that will get mounted on this puppy.

Having said all of that...I "need" a .270 also rofl
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby onwhiskeycreek » Thu May 15, 2014 5:50 pm

That 7mm 08 sounds really interesting, let us know how it works out on these Sitka. I remember when a hunting partner showed up with a 264WM and we all drooled over it. It looks like that 26 Nosler might have the same effect.

Gary

It was a hot calm summer day over in Craig today
onwhiskeycreek
Pollywog

Return to Hunting Camp Forum