Mar Don Waterfowl Report

Use this forum to discuss duck and goose hunting, pheasant and upland bird hunting, big game hunting, firearms, and ammunition.Image

Mar Don Waterfowl Report

Postby Robbo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:42 am

We had another really fun hunting trip over at Mar Don Resort the last couple of days. We had a total of 14 hunters in the field on Wednesday and 17 in the field on Thursday. What a great time with a great bunch of nice people.

We all met up at the Beach Bar and Grill at the resort on Tuesday night for taco night.
dinner.jpg
dinner.jpg (104.79 KiB) Viewed 6129 times

I brought along a bunch of Outdoor Line schwag from Hunter's Specialties and Sportco. Bucket was the lucky winner of the world famous "Butt Out" device made by Hunter's Specialties. I roomed with him and all I can say is that I'm glad I got the room with a door that could be locked and I slept on my back with one eye open ;)
jim_buttout.jpg
jim_buttout.jpg (82.18 KiB) Viewed 6129 times

Jay Field picked up a nice new Ducks Unlimited gun case. Now he's gotta buy a new duck gun to fill that case ;)
jay_guncase.jpg
jay_guncase.jpg (127.81 KiB) Viewed 6129 times

The next morning we split into two groups and headed for the goose fields. One group went north to hunt a field that had been getting hammered by geese and our group headed for the Royal Slope. It didn't take us long to get our first honker of the morning.

Rob Tobeck brought his daughter Mia along on her first waterfowl hunt and when the first single hit the spread on Wednesday Levi barely got the words "Take'em Mia" out of his mouth before the bird was down. Atta kid Mia thumbup
mia.jpg
mia.jpg (150.51 KiB) Viewed 6129 times

Here's Rob and Mia with their limits of big honkers thumbup
tobeck_geese.jpg
tobeck_geese.jpg (141.02 KiB) Viewed 6129 times

I got to hunt with my dad and uncle Frank. Dad got me into hunting when I was 9 years old and I've been hunting ever since. It's so great to get out with these guys. I swear uncle Frank is the happiest man alive thumbup
rob_frank_dad.jpg
rob_frank_dad.jpg (138.8 KiB) Viewed 6129 times

Nick Kester from All Star Charters is a fixture at our events. Outside of being a great guy he's nice to have in your blind because he's a crack shot tommygun
nick.jpg
nick.jpg (132.59 KiB) Viewed 6129 times

Here's our group from day one. We hunted with guides Levi Meseberg, Mike Meseberg, and Nick Anderson. While we had to deal with some fog in our area we still got some great shooting in. The other group of guys hunted a field north of the resort that unfortunately was shrouded in fog most of the morning. They got some shooting in, but it wasn't until the fog lifted in the afternoon.
group_geese.jpg
group_geese.jpg (152.65 KiB) Viewed 6129 times

Thursday was a duck day for all of us and we split into three groups. Two groups hit the lake and I went with the last group to a corn field that the mallards had been hammering. All three groups probably would have hit the lake, but Levi really felt like the corn field hunt had a great chance of being epic.

Everybody chips in on these early morning setups whip
setup.jpg
setup.jpg (60.38 KiB) Viewed 6129 times

We had our first visitor to the dekes just after sunup when a slow elk rolled in to take a look rofl
cow.jpg
cow.jpg (81.83 KiB) Viewed 6129 times

Fog would plague us too. There were tons of mallards whirling around up there in the fog first thing in the morning, but all be darned if they were going to come down to pay us a visit. Once the fog lifted we had two duck typhoons descend on us and were able to drop a few nice ducks from the sky.

Here's Tony with two mallards that hit the dirt.
tony.jpg
tony.jpg (116.25 KiB) Viewed 6129 times

Inglin doing his Aflac routine rofl
aflac.jpg
aflac.jpg (164.73 KiB) Viewed 6129 times

Keizer's group had the best shooting of all three duck groups, dropping 15 birds. Absolutely no wind and very mild conditions made Thursday a very tough day for duck hunting. You can control everything but the weather and the animals and sometimes they just don't cooperate. Oil well...or so they say in Texas!
groupducks.jpg
groupducks.jpg (158.38 KiB) Viewed 6129 times

The Meseberg's at Mar Don Resort provide a very consistent product for us time and again. A huge thanks to them and all the great folks that went on this trip. Good times were had by all and we'll be back again next year thumbup
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Re: Mar Don Waterfowl Report

Postby Bucket » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:14 am

Fun times with great folks! Congrats to Mia, first bird first kill!!
Thanks to the Outdoor Line and the folks at Mar Don, well done.
Bucket
Pecker Trout

Postby Salmonhawk » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:35 pm

Great time as usual with TOL crew. Mia and I had tons of fun and made some great memories. Seeing her take that first bird with everyone watching is one I'll never forget. Looks like this trip will be an annual one for us.

One question I did have though, is Nelly not part of TOL anymore? Seems weird that I didn't see him.
SAVE on INSURANCE at www.GriffinMaclean.com

Listen to The Outdoor Line every Saturday from 6-9am on 710 ESPN Seattle.
Call in number is 866-979-3776 or text us at 710710
Salmonhawk
Tuna Tyrant

Postby Dash One » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks Robbo ... I had a blast (pun intended). The guides are top-notch, and the new cottages at Mardon are super accommodations. The trip is a nice change of pace from the saltchuck. Sign me up for next year ... I'll be there, but only if your Dad and Uncle Frank are going.

BTW: Weren't you supposed to pick up Nelly on your way there? I didn't see him either. Did anyone tell him about this get-together?

Jay
Dash One
Pollywog

Return to Hunting Camp Forum