Blacktail Down!

Use this forum to discuss duck and goose hunting, pheasant and upland bird hunting, big game hunting, firearms, and ammunition.Image

Blacktail Down!

Postby Robbo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:59 am

Taking a break to eat some string beans. A definite break from the jerky/lanjagger/string cheese tradition. My wife is trying to civilize me :D
endsley_beans.jpg
endsley_beans.jpg (126.23 KiB) Viewed 8050 times

My partner and I saw 15 does yesterday some of which were within spitting distance. Hard to see it, but there's one standing in the middle of this picture. Find the does during the rut and you'll find yourself a buck thumbup
blacktail_doe.jpg
blacktail_doe.jpg (129.8 KiB) Viewed 8050 times

Kinda hard to tell how steep it is in this gulley. Last week I jumped a nice buck on one side of this hellhole and it took him all of 5 seconds to cross it and get out of dodge gears
canyon.jpg
canyon.jpg (212.66 KiB) Viewed 8050 times

We've been seeing a lot of deer in our area. Yesterday is when it all came together though. There were blacktails literally everywhere and we about ran a couple over on our mountain bikes on the way in early in the morning. I passed up shooting 3 bucks, have a story to tell about a big blacktail, and eventually ended up taking this nice 2 point at the end of the day. Hunting lowland blacktails is tough duty and I was happy to be tagged out and done with the madness bangheadwall
endsley_2012_blacktail.jpg
endsley_2012_blacktail.jpg (201.39 KiB) Viewed 8050 times

I got to use the family heirloom knife that dad made me for my birthday this year. Mom made the leather case. What an awesome gift that I can hopefully pass on to Ava someday when she starts hunting thumbup
skinning_knife.jpg
skinning_knife.jpg (166.96 KiB) Viewed 8050 times

I rode back to the truck to grab Fred's "grocery getter". We loaded him up and were back to the truck in about 30 minutes. I could ride along pulling the buggy with my mountain bike on the flat spots and downhills. Uphill was a different story though :roll:
grocery_getter.jpg
grocery_getter.jpg (139.31 KiB) Viewed 8050 times

Loaded on the Truck Vault and ready to head to the butcher. This one will eat soooo good drool
endsley_2013_blacktail.jpg
endsley_2013_blacktail.jpg (119.89 KiB) Viewed 8050 times

On Monday my buddy Bryan Harmon took this great blacktail not too far from where we hunt. He followed the formula to a tee. He hunted a 4 year old clear cut with fresh rubs and does in it. Hammer time...nice job Bryan!
harmon_blacktail.jpg
harmon_blacktail.jpg (73.37 KiB) Viewed 8050 times

Speaking of the rut...check out this huge blacktail that my buddy Justin saw in Lakewood the other day. My goodness :shock:
lakewood_buck.jpg
lakewood_buck.jpg (321.36 KiB) Viewed 8048 times

I gotta thank my old buddy Fred for being such a great hunting partner on these blacktail ops. The guy is a very good in the woods and man is he tough!
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Re: Blacktail Down!

Postby Brandon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:19 am

Dude you had to be soaked at the end of the day
Brandon
Metalhawg

Postby Robbo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:32 pm

More like drenched Brandon. Couldn't have been more soaked by the end of yesterday. I got the "Blacktail Down" call from my buddy Fred this morning again at 9:00 a.m. hunting in the same spot, so I packed up the Grundens and the mountain bike and headed back out again. It's a three mile ride into this spot...and a 3 mile pack out with a buck. Well worth it though :!:

What a beauty thumbup
fein_2012_blacktail.jpg
fein_2012_blacktail.jpg (150.63 KiB) Viewed 8025 times

Fred and I pulled the buck buggy all way back in there to pack out this big blacktail :shock:
fein_2012_blacktail_buggy.jpg
fein_2012_blacktail_buggy.jpg (187.17 KiB) Viewed 8025 times

Taking a little break to admire Freds buck and talk about the two other bucks he saw this morning. A nice one ran in front of my truck on the way out there too. The rut is on like Donkey Kong ;)
fein_2012_blacktail2.jpg
fein_2012_blacktail2.jpg (216.01 KiB) Viewed 8025 times

And yes...we got drenched again today but it's all worth it thumbup
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby Robbo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:40 pm

Jay Field from Dash One Charters in Anacortes just zapped me a couple pics of his awesome San Juan Islands blacktail. Way to go brother thumbup

He took it with his new 20 guage slug gun after a long stalk. It was bedded down and Jay put the schneeeek on him...shooting him at 40 yards in his bed. Good job man :!:

jay_field_2012_blacktail2_web.jpg
jay_field_2012_blacktail2_web.jpg (148.66 KiB) Viewed 8024 times
jay_field_2012_blacktail_web.jpg
jay_field_2012_blacktail_web.jpg (133.71 KiB) Viewed 8024 times
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Postby king me » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:14 pm

Very nice boyz! I'm jealous. Unfortunately I had to miss hunting this year but my 9 year old son Darius and I are going through his rifle safety right now so it's gonna be "Hammer Time" next year for sure. Can't wait. So great to see u guys getting those. Nice job!!! clap
king me
Pecker Trout

Postby DuckDog » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Getting your son into the sport is what it's all about King Me. Can't wait to see some photos of him next year with his first pheasant, duck, or deer. I shot my first pheasant when I was ten years old and I was hooked for life :!:
DuckDog
Pollywog

Return to Hunting Camp Forum