New Bushnell Spotting Scope

Use this forum to discuss duck and goose hunting, pheasant and upland bird hunting, big game hunting, firearms, and ammunition.Image

New Bushnell Spotting Scope

Postby Robbo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:25 pm

After hunting deer for 20 plus years I finally broke down and bought a spotting scope last spring. After doing a bunch of research I opted for a Bushnell Trophy XLT 20-60X. I think I paid around $180 for it, which was a lot better than some of the more expensive brands. After 20 years without a spotting scope this model would work just fine. On opening weekend it did exactly what I needed it to do.

I glassed a deer about a half mile away that I could tell was a buck, but with my binocs I couldn't make out just how big it was. The buck was just below the trees on the ridge line in the distance. A long, long ways off!
glassing.jpg
glassing.jpg (106.41 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

So I pulled out the new spotting scope and dialed that baby in on the buck. WOW! Once I located the animal I cranked the scope up to 60X and the buck practically filled the entire field of view. The buck was a nice 3 X 4 with about a 22 inch spread. After watching him feed for a while I could easily tell that his antlers were just barely outside of his ears. On a mature mule deer the ears will be around 20 to 21 inches wide.

It was a really nice mule deer, but not worth risking my life over. I was sitting atop a sheer wall and getting to him would have been doable but very difficult. If I'd have shot him in the area he was in the pack out would have been a nightmare on my street. It was a very nice buck and man was it cool watching him through my new optics. Definitely not worth the risk to go him though. Had this buck been 25 inches plus I'd have definitely considered taking him. The reward would have been worth the risk :D
bushnell_spotting scope.jpg
bushnell_spotting scope.jpg (104.46 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

This morning I hiked another part of the mountain and glassed up a bunch of does but no antlers. Back towards the truck I see this. Sneaky bastards outahere
buck_tracks.jpg
buck_tracks.jpg (192.18 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

Off to chase blacktails in close quarters spy
Prince of Wales Sportfishing
Craig, Alaska Saltwater Salmon and Halibut Charters
http://www.princeofwalessportfishing.com
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle
Robbo
Grand Poobah

Return to Hunting Camp Forum