Broadhead/Arrow troubles

Use this forum to discuss duck and goose hunting, pheasant and upland bird hunting, big game hunting, firearms, and ammunition.Image

Broadhead/Arrow troubles

Postby BothellBikeGuy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:34 am

I'm set up with 2016 26" Al arrows with 125 grain broadhead. I'm shooting a martin compound set at 57lbs. I recently took a couple of practice shots with the broadhead and wasn’t happy with the results. I can put 6 arrows inside the spot the size of an apple at 20 yards but if the next arrow is a broadhead then I don’t know where it’s going to go. I can still hit the target and at 10 yards the difference isn’t as bad as it is at 20 but still it should be way more consistent. I can see the arrow tail off - up and to the right, just before it hits the target so my gut tells me that broad heads are simply leaving the bow differently. Why? I had my arrows tuned and was asured that the broadhead I purchased would fly "just like my field points" Maybe I should consider getting longer/heavier arrows but I don’t know if that will help. It’s getting kind of late in the game and the local archery shop is packed and difficult to get any help this time of the year.
BothellBikeGuy
Pollywog

Re: Broadhead/Arrow troubles

Postby Rock » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Best bet would be to hit the Archery shop. But just so you know some arrows just don't fly well with certain broadheads it all depends. It took me a couple tries of different broadhead till I found one that shot true. Hit up the Archery shop and get them to give you a hand. It will be well worth it. rockon
Rock
Pecker Trout

Postby BothellBikeGuy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:35 am

The new Cabelas Archery shop on a Monday night wasn't busy and Rebecca knows her stuff! It was my rest kicking the arrows off to the right and the broad heads overcompensated. I need to re-sight in my bow but I think (hope) I'm back on track. I would have upgraded to a new Whisper rest but they didn't have the correct hardware:(

It didn't cost me a dime and by the time I left the shop I was slicing off fletching (opps, there is a dime and then some) at 10 yards where the broadheads were off by a foot from the fieldpoints before I started
BothellBikeGuy
Pollywog

Postby Rock » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:35 pm

good to hear! Now time for you to practice so you can poke a deer in about 15 days!
Rock
Pecker Trout

Return to Hunting Camp Forum