Breezy Monday on Area 9 (Admiralty Inlet)

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Breezy Monday on Area 9 (Admiralty Inlet)

Postby Nelly » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Well, with the forecast looking a bit more than nasty for the next few days, we figured that an "iffy" Monday forecast was better than nothing so we cut the lines and headed for Area 9.

Once we got the gear in the water, the winds settled down a bit and while we did not get off to a fast start, we did start to get bit after the morning ebb slowed down a bit. By the way, the new Daiwa LEXA 400 line counter is a quick little BEAST of a reel!
IMG_1314 a.JPG
IMG_1314 a.JPG (142.46 KiB) Viewed 13384 times

Jet Chevrolet's Dan Rector proudly hoists a fine, well fed spring blackmouth that should perform as well on the BBQ as it did on it's fight!
IMG_1319 a.JPG
IMG_1319 a.JPG (108.05 KiB) Viewed 13384 times

The Sand lance are growing fast this spring. So fast in fact that I've had to upsize my spoons. The most productive piece of gear on this day was Gibbs Skinny G spoon! A perfect representation of the bait and fast becoming my favorite spoon!
IMG_1328 (Small).jpg
IMG_1328 (Small).jpg (125.05 KiB) Viewed 13385 times

Admiralty Inlet is open through April 15. Don't let this spring fishery slip through your fingers! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Breezy Monday on Area 9 (Admiralty Inlet)

Postby dnmalsom » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:01 am

That looks good Nelly!
Go figure, I just switched the boat over for Springers, took the Scotty's off and put the river anchor system on the bow. We are suppose to be heading to Vancover next week, unfortunately, things aren't looking that good down there yet. May just end up cancelling my reservations and stay closer to home. Hopefully, there will be some extentions later in April. I will be fishing out of Cathlamet the next 3 days on a friends boat so that will be a good test fishery.
By the way, I was at the Outdoor Emporium Springer seminar in Seattle. Good information and the staff was very friendly and helpful.
Good luck and see you on the water.
Dan (SharronTime2)
dnmalsom
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:40 am

Hey Dan,
I hear you. With the Columbia on "high water hold" right now, we are very fortunate to have a local backup plan.
The last week in March is a key week for me on the big river down south and while I miss it, heading out into the sound sure is a great option! thumbup
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby dnmalsom » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:04 am

Hey Nelly,
Got back from Cathlamet late Friday night. Fished 3 days and not a bite. River is high and very low visibility. Lots of flow. We concentrated our efforts on the high slack but I guess they can't bite what they can't see. When I left Elochoman's Friday night there had been only 1 fish caught.
My fishing partners are staying for the week so hopefully things will start to pickup. The marina and campground were only half full but the rigs were starting to roll in as I was leaving.
I cancelled my reservations for Vancover next week and will hope for another extension later this month.
In the meantime, I heard the Juans have been really producing.

Dan
SharronTime2
dnmalsom
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:31 pm

Sorry to hear about that Dan,
While I haven't given up on the Columbia, there's little doubt that for at least the next week, the best chinook fishery in the state is Puget Sound and the San Juans spy
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Return to Fishing Reports