Puget Sound Winter Chinook Opener!

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Puget Sound Winter Chinook Opener!

Postby Nelly » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:09 pm

It's been a long time since the summer chinook season closed and we were able to actually fish north Puget Sound so I was way fired up for today's blackmouth opener. Fortunately, the hatchery chinook were very cooperative!

Rob Wingard of WDFW, Seattle Firefighters Lance Kent and Wayne Johnson with a nice limit of chunky winter chinook!
IMG_1302 (Small).JPG
IMG_1302 (Small).JPG (106.11 KiB) Viewed 6194 times

For us the action centered around Possession Bar at the beginning of the ebb tide. We arrived on the southwest edge of the bar on the flood and there was not much bait so we kept on motoring until the Simrad marked chinook surrounded by schools of herring.

Silver Horde Coho Killers in the new "Herring Aid" finish behind green stripe Coyote Flashers trolled 1.5-2.5 mph on the bottom in 120-150 feet of water produced strikes all morning long!

If this morning's action is any indication, this weekend's "No Coho Blackmouth Derby" should be one whale of an event! Here's hoping you can score a ticket and we'll see you at the weigh-in! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Puget Sound Winter Chinook Opener!

Postby SlumRunner » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:46 am

Tom, going to be heading out of Kingston on Saturday - got any suggestions? I heard Pilot Point, Point No Point, and Double Bluff might be fishing a little better than Possession. Any thoughts on the matter? Throw me a bone here, I'll try to listen Saturday morning but no guarantee as I'll probably be on the water by then!

Thanks,
Sam
SlumRunner
Pollywog

Postby Nelly » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:24 pm

Well.... spy

One of those places you mentioned put out today pretty well...

Former Seattle Seahawk Robbie Tobeck and Dan Espy of the Bridge Church with a trio of winter chinook
IMG_1331a.jpg
IMG_1331a.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 5657 times

Like I said, it's good fishing out there and I'm not Bluffing... ;)
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby SlumRunner » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:27 am

Started Saturday morning at Double Bluff, about 25 boats there and no one catching anything. After two hours of nothing, decided to head to the East Side of Possession. Lots of action there, and picked up our first keeper on an ace hi fly down 80ft in 90ft of water. Lots of sub-legals there. Started to slow down there, so moved to Jeff head around 2pm and was able to pick up another keeper. Both were right around the 22-23 inch mark. Fun day of the water and nice to have fresh salmon this time of year. Heres a couple pics of the fish....I long armed it as far as I could!!!
IMG_2504.JPG
IMG_2504.JPG (31.82 KiB) Viewed 5547 times
IMG_2503.JPG
IMG_2503.JPG (22.99 KiB) Viewed 5547 times
SlumRunner
Pollywog

Return to Fishing Reports