Fin whale and humpbacks

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Fin whale and humpbacks

Postby pcorazao » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:52 pm

Took a break from fishing last weekend and did a little whale watching.

Was saw a fin whale in the Strait of Juan de Fuca near dungeness and humpbacks near port townsend area.

Tour guide said its really really special to see a fin whale, second largest mammal in the ocean, over 200,000 tons. Said he has been guiding for 10 years and this was his first fin whale.

Found this: http://www.king5.com/news/local/pets-an ... /277174294

If you are in the area go take a look at the big guy!
Kayak Angler
pcorazao
Pollywog

Re: Fin whale and humpbacks

Postby Nelly » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:06 pm

That's cool to have so many whales around.
Last year they were here until fall to whereas typically we only used to see them in the spring.
There must be something around for them to eat here or they would not be hanging around cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Postby PJMcManus » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:24 pm

As fisherman we are tend to fib just a little when it comes to weight, fin whales ....... I think you meant pounds. Love seeing whales, porpoise, and all the animals we encounter while fishing, unless its one of those large brown whiskered ones following the boat while salmon fishing. Part of the great outdoor experience!!!
PJMcManus
Pollywog

Postby Smalma » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:55 pm

The amount and diversity of sea life currently been seen in the Sound is pretty exciting!

About 10 days ago saw a minke whale on Possession bar; something don't usually see south of the San Juans. A week ago while fishing Jefferson head had a pair of orcas blow next to me 4 times; the first time they were only about 50 feet from the boat. It was the first time I saw them and needless to say startled the heck out of me. Just before they showed up there were several seals around and a nice bite was on - afterwards the seal were gone and the bite ended! But neat none the less.

On Friday there was a pack of orcas (6 or more animals) tracking the harbor porpoises. A whale watching boat was near by reported they had caught and eventually ate one of the porpoises.

The same day my partner caught a hake while mooching. The first hake I had seen in the Sound in nearly 30 years.

Reportedly the transient orcas has been in the area for most of July dining on seals and porpoises. May explain what appears to my eye fewer of both the seals and porpoises.

Hopefully with the improved ocean conditions this spring we'll see a reverse of our declining salmon to match the apparent increase of other sea-life in the Sound.

Curt
Smalma
Biologist Emeritus

Return to Fishing Reports