Westport Tuna

Saltwater and freshwater fishing reports!

Westport Tuna

Postby Nelly » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:51 pm

I know, I know... It's salmon season but when the ocean lays down flat and you've got an ol' buddy who's rarin' to go...You gotta go!
My former on-air partner Robbie Tobeck had not been out for tuna yet this season and we couldn't get anyone else to join us so we decided to head out as a two man operation spy

We've been talking to Mark Coleman of All Rivers & Saltwater Charters and the tuna were a bit south of Westport in 62.5 degree water so with a forecast for a flat ocean we loaded up with ice, live bait and over the bar we went for a 50 mile run!

Once we got out over the Grays Harbor bar the ocean was just perfect for a long run.
IMG_0644 (Small).JPG
IMG_0644 (Small).JPG (88.11 KiB) Viewed 5191 times

We trolled for 10 minutes and were marking fish so we stopped to drop gear on 'em. Robbie Tobeck slipped the live anchovies overboard and it was GAME ON!
IMG_0647 (Small).JPG
IMG_0647 (Small).JPG (103.52 KiB) Viewed 5191 times

Before we knew it, we had a pile of tuna on board and it was time to get them on ice!
IMG_0650 (Small).JPG
IMG_0650 (Small).JPG (130.93 KiB) Viewed 5191 times

The day was topped off by my personal best 34 pound albacore and what a fight!
IMG_0652 (Small).JPG
IMG_0652 (Small).JPG (91.58 KiB) Viewed 5190 times

When it was all said and done we had 22 albacore on board and it was time to head back to Westport and get to cleaning some tuna!
IMG_0664 (Small).JPG
IMG_0664 (Small).JPG (98.65 KiB) Viewed 5190 times

After a long stint at the cleaning dock, we hit the road and the road hit back! We suffered the brutal double boat trailer BLOWOUT tommygun
CnSUcFbVYAQy0m8.jpg
CnSUcFbVYAQy0m8.jpg (308.52 KiB) Viewed 5162 times

Thankfully the crew at the Aberdeen Les Schwab Tire was on the case! Less than an hour after we called them we were back on the road! I'm forever a Les Schwab customer! thumbup

We should have plenty of time to chase tuna as August and September usually offer some of the flattest seas and a plume of warm water that extends closer to shore which will considerably shorten the 100 mile run round trip! cheers
The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle 6-9am Every Saturday!
Nelly
Spawned Out Boot

Re: Westport Tuna

Postby PST9 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Looks like you guys had a great day! We're running our first trip on the 18th. Hopefully there a little closer than 50 miles!
PST9
Pollywog

Postby Grant Wooldridge » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:34 pm

Nice job fellas! What a blast!

Grant
Grant Wooldridge
Pollywog

Postby Bear » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:24 am

Hey, I recognize that bloody deck; I’ve helped bloody it a few times! Wish I could have been there to help this time; nothing better than a flat water bait stop. On my bucket list is tuna fishing with you and Tobeck … in the same boat at the same time.

Nice tuna Nelly, 34 pounds is my personal best as well; took me 45 minutes to land it.

I don’t know what is more amazing, Nelly tuna fishing in the middle of salmon season or the fact that I remembered how to sign into the forum.

It will be 112 today here in the Valley of the Sun but cooling down to 105 for the weekend. I’m counting the days to my real retirement. Next tuna season I will be ready, willing and able and across the bay in Ocean Shores and I always have gas money so no more two man trips!

Ditto on Les Schwab, they have saved my bacon a couple of times; once on I-5 in Oregon when AAA left me stranded.

Bear
Bear
Pollywog

Return to Fishing Reports